Volunteer at Ellisland Museum & Farm
Tell the Story of Ellisland
The Trust is seeking motivated, friendly and energetic volunteers with a passion for the life and works of Robert Burns to help us reopen the site to the public, maintain the grounds and promote the Ellisland offering to the local, national and international community.
We have a number of volunteering opportunities available for a range of possible interests and time commitments and would love to hear more from interested individuals or groups. At present our current volunteering opportunities are:
Volunteers are directly involved in the Trust’s efforts to conserve the site and grounds of Ellisland, as well as telling its story. Volunteering at Ellisland will allow participants to work closely with the Project Officer/ Volunteer Coordinator, Trustees and visiting experts to preserve the grounds and artefacts at Ellisland.
You will also be contributing to the development of the site as a leading centre for the advancement of Burns’ legacy and as an asset to the local community.
A rich and thriving community
In return for you time and dedication, Ellisland hopes to create a rich and thriving community for volunteers. Volunteers will receive:
- A warm welcome and will be treated with respect at all times, regardless of background.
- The opportunity to work with international experts on Robert Burns and learn more about his life, including insight into the stories of important historical artefacts kept at Ellisland.
- Access to support from the Project Officer / Volunteer Coordinator in identifying areas in which they would like to develop skills and creating a work plan to fulfil development, to improve employment prospects
- Expenses reimbursed for costs incurred with volunteering.
- Invitations to social events for volunteers and your families, as a thank you for hard work
- Free membership to the Robert Burns Ellisland Trust, which includes members only events and discounts on Ellisland merchandise.
For more information please download our information pack or email
The Robert Burns Ellisland Trust champion the incredible history of Ellisland and the heritage of Robert Burns through our public programmes, collections, site, house and landscape.
Our Funding Partners
See & Do
Burns experienced his most creative and fruitful years here at Ellisland, finding poetic inspiration in the beauty of the surrounding countryside, the various people he met and the events he witnessed whilst living here.
Burns’ Life at Ellisland
Ellisland Museum & Farm is conveniently situated on the road between Robert Burns’ birthplace in Alloway and his final resting place at St Michael’s Cemetery in Dumfries.