What to See & Do
- Visit the farmhouse built by Robert Burns for himself and his family. Find out more about daily life in the late 18th century in the farmhouse kitchen, and be inspired in Robert’s Spence where many of his famous poems were written.
- Watch our evocative film about Robert and Jean’s life on the farm and discover the displays in the Granary Museum.
- Explore the farm buildings, stable and orchard from the time of Robert Burns – you can even take a peek in his outside loo!
- Wander the banks of the River Nith which Burns loved and found so inspirational, including the walk where he wrote Tam o’ Shanter and the field that inspired his poem The Wounded Hare.
Winter 2021 / 2022
From November 1st 2021 Ellisland will be open for pre-booked guided tours only on Monday and Wednesday mornings at 11am. To book please visit our event listing on Eventbrite. For more information please email email@example.com or call 01387 740 426 (Office hours: Mondays and Tuesdays 9am – 5pm; Wednesdays and Fridays 9am – 12.30pm).
We continue to ask that visitors follow the COVID-19 guidance below:
- Book your slot! – we are only allowing a maximum of 6 people per one hour slot, so space is limited. Please do not arrive without having booked and paid for your slot as we cannot guarantee entry.
- Please wear a mask at all times inside the farm buildings. If you are medically exempt, please display a medical exemption card.
- Make use of hand sanitiser at various points throughout the site.
- Carefully observe social distancing.
- Please don’t travel to Ellisland if you or any member of your household are exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19.
Adults – £5.00*
Children under 16 – Free
Ellisland Members – Free
*Please consider upgrading from Admission to an annual Membership which costs £15 to help support our vital work in conserving this important site. As a Member of Ellisland you will enjoy a host of benefits, including a free of charge Guided Tour, regular updates from the Trustees and exclusive online events and talks.
Complimentary water bowl available and dogs are welcome on site. However, assistance dogs only are able to accompany you as you visit the collections in the Granary and Farmhouse
School and Educational Visits
Ellisland Museum & Farm welcomes pre-booked school parties of all ages. Our Curriculum for Excellence schools programme is an ideal introduction to the poetry and life of Robert Burns, life in the past and hands-on history. Our programmes can include object handling, activity trails, hands-on in the Burns kitchen, butter making, storytelling and writing. Visits cost £2 per child. To book your visit, please contact us.